Home Renovation

Designing, plans, and permits were all in place when we got the call for this project. Here’s how the house looked before we started in:

brosz_42

We tore down the previous room addition per plans:

brosz_43

We started in in the ground work (footings and grading for the new addition & underground sewer and water lines):

brosz_40

The new master bathroom sewer lines:

brosz_01

We poured the new slab (out of frame, I was standing on it when I took this pic) and patched the concrete where the new plumbing went in. This is when I pulled layout and realized the designer’s drawings were off by a mile (feet not inches) and that the spec’d tub would not come close to fitting, as well as other problems. We re-designed the bathroom ourselves, jack hammered up the plumbing and changed it to all new locations, and patched:

brosz_02

Next we got going on the framing of the new master bedroom addition. I noticed that even though it was conventional framing that the plans called out three parallam beams. This was not only unnecessary, but worthless. I was able to remove one of them from the plans and get an approval from the city, but due to time constraints the other two beams went in. Just a waste. Engineers cannot afford liability insurance anymore so they do some ridiculous designs now because they think they will be free from lawsuits. This costs the customer a boat load of money that he gets no benefit for. Oftentimes ending up with large beams exposed, or in the way, for absolutely no reason. For this picture I removed the one over the picture window to show how unnecessary it was (with all its HDs and column cap and bases, ridiculous):

brosz_03

I decided it was a good time to look over the rest of the plan and the existing house and take inventory, so to speak. The garage had two more large parallam beams showed, with large concrete pads to be placed under the kitchen cabinets, etc. I submitted new plans to the city eliminating these foolish beams. They were approved and we saved the client multi thousands there. Around this time I also noticed that the original house roof was sagging around 8″ over the living room. Turns out a permitted and inspected remodel done 15 years back left the roof unsupported. After showing this to the client we agreed to rebuild/replace the house roof (we were already to rebuilt the garage roof). We changed both from 2/12 to a 4/12 pitch. We framed them conventionally out of 2″x8″ rafters with no parallam beams, post, or column caps. Saving a bunch of money and making a strong structure. The picture below shows the existing roof structure. You can see the low 2/12 pitch. Also, we have noticed many jobs through the years were we see attics left in this same state after even large remodels. That is sad to me. We always shop vac them thoroughly and recommend all new clean batts of insulation when the existing insulation is in this condition. Both happened here.:

brosz_04

After we framed the existing house up with a 4/12 pitch roof the attack was now accessible and easy to get around in. This even though the joists were all framed in 14″ high to allow for a recessed ceiling if it was ever desired:

brosz_13

 

We replaced all the mechanics. So all new AV, HVAC, all new electrical wiring and panels, all new water lines, and all new gas lines and gas meter:

brosz_10

We used Fantech bathroom exhaust fans mounted in the attic and exhausted them all in a line through the dutch gable end:

brosz_08

brosz_07

brosz_09

Mikey up finishing the roof sheeting:

brosz_06

The roofing went down as soon as possible for the weather, then we went to work below. Notice you don’t see any vents from the street view (sticking out of the roof), we always run those out the back of the house:

brosz_14
brosz_15

The client went with copper gutters and downspouts:

brosz_17

Solar attic fans, we’ve been using and recommending these on all of our projects for decades:

brosz_16

 

Here’s the inside of the master bedroom room addition finished up:

brosz_20

 

The client was looking to do something other than cookie cutter for the closet doors and tried out saloon doors. That’s him eye ball’n them:

brosz_21

They didn’t look the way he had hoped so we replaced them with 2’6″x8’0″ doors. He liked that better:

brosz_24

Here’s a pic of the new masterbath shower, marble with a trench drain:

brosz_18

The client took a break at this point, then called us back to replace all the existing sewer lines:

brosz_22  brosz_39  brosz_38

We finished the sewer lines up and the client had a mechanically and structurally sound house with a new master bedroom and bathroom. But his hallway bathrooms were small, awkward, and in bad shape. Then entry to his master bedroom was awkward and poorly conceived:

brosz_23

He had no entry at all (blown out during the kitchen/living room remodel 15 years before). So I sat down at my computer and went to drawing up ideas for him. I submitted about a dozen ideas and this one is the one everyone liked best:

brosz_48

 

This rendering made it easy to see how the new bathroom, hallways, and entryway would flow:

brosz_44

This rendering showed how the remodel should look finished from the living room point of view:

brosz_47

We went to work:

brosz_25

brosz_29

brosz_28

brosz_30

brosz_33

brosz_32

Getting close to the rendering:

brosz_47